Monday, March 10, 2008

"That was for Prop Joe" - Slim Charles



That is the moment that made me jump/shout/cry during the series finale of the now-stereotypically cast "world's greatest show ever," The Wire. I'm a Wire-head or whatever us folk are called, and like all of us, I will feel empty for at least a few more days. Our friends are gone: Some of them are dead, some of them are eating dinner with their family (thank god!) and not surprisingly, some are growing into the characters that we met five seasons ago. As any true fanatic could do about their favorite show, I could write for hours about the finale, but I thought I could just start a thread about y'alls favorite moment of -30- (slang for the final cut line of a news story) and see what comes. As I said, when Slim Charles pulled the trigger and pop -- that flippin' heartless, no-kin respecting, slimy SOB Cheese Wagstaff (played by Method Man) fell to the ground with a hole in his head, I found myself standing, fist in air. That felt right. I loved Prop Joe and I always thought that dating back to the Barksdale crew that Slim was one of the most loyal members in the game. Joe didn't deserve to go out the way he did three episodes back, especially after he saved Cheese's behind numerous times when he deserved to go the way he did his uncle. Slim did what we all wished we could have done. But as that famous Wire line goes, "The game is the game." It was simply Joe's time I suppose. The Wire didn't fade to black, but the finale had some holes that I didn't care for and won't get into. But what about you? I know you're itching to say something. - Kevin

No comments: